Its no longer news that David DeGea is Manchester United’s best player this season and as a matter of fact there have been times where he’s been the one only to come to the party. Man Utd holding on DeGea is only a matter of time because I know Real Madrid will come calling and for the right price (£50m at the least) he would be sold. I don’t want him to leave but footballers always come up with that I want to go back home excuse, blah de blah blah. This season has been somewhat good for me on a personal level because all I wanted was a top four finish for my beloved Man Utd team and we are there (though mathematically not so). I have taken time to assess the team and I have found out that there have been 7 players whom have held their own for the Red Devils this season, excluding David DeGea because he needs no mention.
Below are the 7 players that have stood out this season for Manchester United:
1. Ashley Young: I was shocked he wasn’t sold during the pre-season. Glad he was retained because he stepped up, scratch that he stepped up big time. He has played as a wing back, full back, winger, midfielder. Just name it and he flourished giving other players a run for their money.
2. Daley Blind: I saw this lad play at the World Cup in Brazil and I was impressed. The moment he was linked with Manchester United my joy knew no bounds. Glad he was brought in. He’s always wanting the ball which reminds me of a certain Darren Fletcher (in his prime).
3. Michael Carrick: he was injured at the start of the season and it was clear a piece was missing in the team. His return to the squad saw Man Utd string 7 straight victories in a row with the game against Arsenal freshest in my memory. He’s been edged out by David Degea as United’s top performer this season. Mr. Carrick like I love to call him is the most experienced player in the squad.
4. Antonio Valencia: I just love the power and pace he brings to the team. So sad he’s turned Rafael into a bencher. Valencia has held his own this season and I am glad he’s hardly ever injured.
5. Maroune Fellaini: he was almost sent on loan to Napoli for a season but I thank GOD for that injury he had which ensured he stayed back at Carrington. He’s performed greatly for the club this season and he may not know me but he’s definitely repaying the faith I had in him. I like strong players and he sure used his strength well.
6. Ander Herrera: Small lad but a bundle of skill. Amazing vision and technique. All he needs is a bit of flesh and he’s good to go because the EPL isn’t just about skill, you need power too. With over 20 appearances (7 as a sub), he’s scored 5 goals that have truly counted with 4 assists to match.
7.Wayne ‘Wazza’ Rooney: people who know me know that this dude has been my best Manchester United player since the departure of Ruud Van Nistelrooy (yea I will pick Rooney over Ronaldo any day), hence my saving the favourite for last. Wayne Mark Rooney like my friend who has got a mad crush on him always call him is a one of the best team players around. He’s the first player to have scored over 10 goals in 11 consecutive Premier League Seasons. Do I still need to brag about his consistency? I figured. A fighter and one of the reasons United will made the top 4 (Liverpool has got nothing on us).
Watch out for my boys next season, we would be a tough nut to crack and surely we would be amongst the favourites to win the league next season.
Thanks people for the unending love and support. May the ALMIGHTY reach out to you all……………….. BLESS !!!
Follow me on twitter (@dipoogun) and instagram (@dipoogun)