Happy new year people. 2013 shall bring forth our heart’s desires. I also apologise for the lack of consistency, no excuse for that though. I start the new year with my top sporting moments of 2012. Some I am happy to announce and others that I am not interested in announcing but I will have to talk about them so as to have a lengthy post.
There were lots of great sporting moments this past year; from football to formula 1 to tennis to basketball and so on. Below are the top sporting moments for me :
1. Man Utd’s acquisition of Robin Van Persie: not only is he a proven goalscorer but it still amazes how Fergie convinced Wenger to sell him to the Red Devils. United coughed out a whooping £24 million for the flying Dutch man. I didn’t like the amount spent on the 29 year old at first but trust me, he has been worth every penny and more. 17 goals in 24games between August and December. This is one hell of a sporting moment.
2. Lewis Hamilton dumping McClaren-Mercedes for Mercedes AMG: I have always been a fan of this lad. He’s got talent. Rumour had it that Lewis complained about the engine of the McClaren cars and they seem to turn deaf ears so I guess leaving was the best option for him. All tha best Lewis, 2013 is your year.
3. Andy Murray’s grandslam win: not a fan of this so called British boy, yea in the UK whenever he wins a title he is British but when he doesn’t win anything they say he is Scottish. Anyway he has finally won a grandslam. He beat world number 1 and former training mate Novak Djokovic just after beating world number 2 (Roger Federer) to win Olympic gold at the London Olympics. The underachiever tag has hence been detached from this lad. He is the first British grandslam winner since 1936.
4. Top 4 male tennis players winning a grandslam each: Novak Djokovic won the first grandslam of 2012 (Australian open), Rafael Nadal won the second (French open), Roger Federer won the third (Wimbledon open) and Andy Murray won the fourth (U.S open). Djokovic is world’s number, Federer is number 2, Murray is number 3 and Nadal is number 4 (some say its because of his injuries). All top four players winning a grandslam a piece is definitely #epic.
5. The Nigerian Paramlypian contingent: these guys really need to be appreciated. They always do us proud. They are true heroes and I pray for them to be continually encouraged.
6. D’ Tigers: for the first time we got to see the Nigerian male basketball team at the Olympics. Not a great outing for the lads not after the Dream team of the U.S beat them 156-73. They were bruised, battered and brushed.
There you have it, the top sporting moments of 2012. Oh I didn’t talk about Messi’s record of scoring the most goals in a calendar year? Well he doesn’t hold that record because Godfrey Chitalu of Zambia scored 107 goals in 1972. E pele eyin Messi fans. Chelsea champions of Europe? The champs of Europe years past have not been disgraced like Chelsea were. They didn’t win Charity shield, dem no win super cup and lost out on a chance to win the Fifa world club cup. I am sorry, they are not champions to me. Did I hear Shitty’s EPL win was a top sporting moment? Trust me QPR’s relegation escape in 2012 ousts that.
Have a fruitful year wonderful people and don’t forget to read, drop comments and share. Also follow me on twitter @theswizzmemoirs or @dipoogun……… Bless y’all.